會員
News Express(English Edition)

EU says it will accept no increase in US tariffs

The European Commission demanded on Sunday that the United States stick to the terms of an EU-U.S. trade deal reached last year, after the ​U.S. Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump's global tariffs and he responded with new levies ⁠across the board.



The Commission, which negotiates trade policy on behalf of the 27 ​EU member states, ‌said Washington must provide "full clarity" on the steps it intends to take following the court ruling.



After the court struck ​down Trump's global tariffs on Friday, the U.S. president announced temporary, across-the-board tariffs of 10%, which he then hiked to 15% a day later.



"The ‌current ‌situation is not conducive ​to delivering 'fair, balanced, and mutually beneficial' transatlantic trade and investment, as agreed to by both sides" in the joint statement setting out the terms of last year's trade agreement.



The Commission said, "A deal is a deal."



The comments were far more strongly worded than the Commission's initial response on Friday, which had said only that ​it was studying the outcome of the Supreme Court decision and keeping in contact with the U.S. administration.