會員
News Express(English Edition)

Australia rules out helping Australians in Syrian Camp

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Tuesday his government would not help Australians in a Syrian camp holding ⁠families of suspected Islamic State militants return home, with the government open to prosecutions if they make it back.



Thirty-four Australians released on Monday from a camp in northern Syria were returned to the detention centre due to "technical reasons," .



Dubbed "IS brides" by local media - though the cohort also includes children - they are expected to travel to Damascus before eventually returning to Australia, despite objection from ruling and opposition lawmakers.



A spokesperson for Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said Australia's security agencies had been monitoring the situation in Syria, and said those who had broken the law would be prosecuted.



Islamic State is a listed terror organisation in Australia, with membership of the group punishable by up to 25 years in prison. Australia also has ​the power to strip dual nationals of citizenship if they are an Islamic State member.