Few people left at Syria camp that held Islamic State families
Fewer than 1,000 families remain at a camp where relatives of suspected Islamic State militants had been held in Syria's northeast, the camp's former
director said on Wednesday, with thousands having fled last month as government forces seized control of the area from Kurdish-led fighters.
Al-Hol, near the Iraqi border, was one of the main detention camps for relatives of suspected Islamic State fighters who were detained during the U.S.-backed campaign against the jihadist group in Syria.
Control of the camp changed hands last month when government forces under President Ahmed al-Sharaa seized swathes of the northeast from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, including several jails holding Islamic State fighters. The U.S. military said last week it had completed a mission to
transfer 5,700 adult male Islamic State detainees to Iraq.
|