US airlines warn over pause in two key travel programs amid DHS shutdown
A grouping of major U.S. airlines said the U.S. Department of Homeland Security gave travelers scant warning ahead of the temporary suspension of its PreCheck and Global Entry programs from Sunday, amid a shutdown of much of the agency.
The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET, after the partial shutdown began last week, following the failure of Republicans and Democrats to clinch a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.
"Airlines for America is deeply concerned that ... the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown," Chief Executive Chris Sununu said.
News of the suspensions came at "extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly," he added in a statement, urging Congress to "get a deal done."
A similar shutdown last fall caused losses of $6.1 billion across the travel industry and related sectors, he said.
"TSA and Customs and Border Protection are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts," Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said.
|